Born and raised in Los Angeles, California. Started as a kid drawing and painting and taking art lessons. Attended the California State Summer School for the Arts program while in high school. Then attended Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Art and Design.
Bernard attended The New York Academy of Art for a Masters in Painting. Currently Bernard is plein-air painting at Central Park or painting city scapes in New York City. Bernard has his studio in Brooklyn, New York.
- New York Academy of Art, Master of Fine Arts 2015
- Concentration: Painting - Track: Anatomy
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA, Bachelor of Science, 1996
- Major: Graphic Design - Minor: Theater
- Teaching/Studio Assistant 2015-Present. Steven Assael Studio, Workshops, Painting 3 Class, New York Academy of Art.
- Teaching Assistant Spring 2016, 2017. Instructor Roberto Osti,
Anatomy II, New York Academy of Art.
- Teaching Assistant Fall 2015, 2016, 2017. Instructor John Horn,
Anatomy I, New York Academy of Art.
- Teaching assistant Summer 2016. Instructor Alyssa Monks.
Painting Workshop, New York Academy of Art.
- Teaching Assistant Fall 2015. Instructor Dik Liu, Painting I, New York Academy of Art.
- PaintNite.com 9/13-Present. Teach large art classes around New York City.
- PaintLounge.com 9/13-Present. Teach large art classes around New York City.
- Freelance Illustration 06/95-Present. Provide illustrations for book covers,
products, logos, instruction manuals,
online training programs, charts, diagrams, and annual reports.
- UncorktheArtist.com 2012-2013. Teach large art classes around New York City.
- Technical/Digital Illustrator 11/2008-11/2009. Impact Learning Systems, San Luis Obispo, CA.
Vector line art illustrations and graphics for online program.
- Teaching Assistant, Beginning Figure Drawing Classes 2000 & 2005. Assisted with drawing sessions for professor Robert Densham at Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo. Helped students understand fundamentals of figure drawing. Draw samples to demonstrate objectives.
- Instructor, Figure drawing 1999-2000 & 2005-2006. Linn Benton Community College, Corvallis, OR. Prepared and led beginner figure drawing classes.
- New York Academy of Art, 2014: Two-day portrait painting workshop with Dan Thompson.
- New York Academy of Art, 2013: Five-day still life painting workshop with Leah Lopez.
- Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art, 2007: Five-day portrait & oil painting workshop with Sean Cheetham.
- Andreeva Portrait Academy, 2007: Still life painting workshop.
- 2015 Flowers Gallery, Chelsea New York, NYAA Summer Group Exhibition.
- 2015 MFA Thesis Exhibition, New York Academy of Art. Group Exhibition.
- 1999 Pegasus Gallery, Oregon. Landscape drawings, Solo Exhibition.
AWARDS & HONORS
- 2015 New York Academy of Art. Portrait Scholarship.
- 2013 Inside Angles Gallery. Toledo, Ohio. Portrait, Honorable Mention.